I read this list the other day on the 9 marks blog, and they posted from Don Whitney’s website. I was so challenged by the list. I know this isn’t my typical lighthearted whimsical post. But I think it is worthwhile to take a moment (or many moments) to consider our lives, homes, and relationships.
I recognize that not all of my readers have a faith in Christ, but I am confident that many of the questions will still challenge you. And perhaps you will be challenged to consider the state of your spiritual life as well.
1. What's one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
2. What's the most humanly impossible thing you will ask God to do this year?
3. What's the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your family life this year?
4. In which spiritual discipline do you most want to make progress this year, and what will you do about it?
5. What is the single biggest time-waster in your life, and what will you do about it this year?
6. What is the most helpful new way you could strengthen your church?
7. For whose salvation will you pray most fervently this year?
8. What's the most important way you will, by God's grace, try to make this year different from last year?
9. What one thing could you do to improve your prayer life this year?
10. What single thing that you plan to do this year will matter most in ten years? In eternity?
Not enough to get you journaling? How about 21 more?
11. What's the most important decision you need to make this year?
12. What area of your life most needs simplifying, and what's one way you could simplify in that area?
13. What's the most important need you feel burdened to meet this year?
14. What habit would you most like to establish this year?
15. Who is the person you most want to encourage this year?
16. What is your most important financial goal this year, and what is the most important step you can take toward achieving it?
17. What's the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your work life this year?
18. What's one new way you could be a blessing to your pastor (or to another who ministers to you) this year?
19. What's one thing you could do this year to enrich the spiritual legacy you will leave to your children and grandchildren?
20. What book, in addition to the Bible, do you most want to read this year?
21. What one thing do you most regret about last year, and what will you do about it this year?
22. What single blessing from God do you want to seek most earnestly this year?
23. In what area of your life do you most need growth, and what will you do about it this year?
24. What's the most important trip you want to take this year?
25. What skill do you most want to learn or improve this year?
26. To what need or ministry will you try to give an unprecedented amount this year?
27. What's the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your commute this year?
28. What one biblical doctrine do you most want to understand better this year, and what will you do about it?
29. If those who know you best gave you one piece of advice, what would they say? Would they be right? What will you do about it?
30. What's the most important new item you want to buy this year?
31. In what area of your life do you most need change, and what will you do about it this year?
I am going to take some time to answer at least the first 10. In the midst runny noses, taking down Christmas, non sleeping babies, and a whole lot of laundry to be done… I am challenged to pause (when can I do this again?) and consider my life. My life is NOT just all about these 3 little llamas. I am a woman, a wife, a friend… a daughter, a sister, a follower of Christ.
What question challenges you the most?
Why don’t you blog about it… Or share here in the comments.
Here’s to living more faith-filled, disciplined, God honoring lives in 2010!